My summary from the VPN Interoperability Workshop in San Diego

Summary
=======

Misc
----

	About 90% of those I asked had found out bug(s) in their own
	code.

	About 90% of those having bugs fixed them here...

	100% of those I asked said this was useful.

	100% of those I asked said they will come to the next meeting
	WHEN there is going to be one.

IKE problems
------------

	- Bundles and protection suites
	- SA bundles and multiple SAs
	- IP+AH+IP+ESP+IP+packet or IP+AH+ESP+IP+packet
	- Rekeying problems. Both in phase 1 and 2.
	- Nat traversal, not enough time to address it because this was
	  so soon after ietf.
	- Agreeing on PFS (no negotiation there)
	- Using DOI 0.
	- Vendors requiring payloads being in specific order.
	- Vendors not able to handle long proposal lists.
	- Signature authentication.
	- Starting proposal numbers from zero.

Document issues
---------------

	- What identity types are allowed in phase 1 and 2.
	- Give example of RSA signature exchange.
	- Add more examples how to behave in the different situations.
	- Dynamic address box solution is missing for subnet vpn.

Commit bit
----------

	- Commit bit issues, it is not very clear.
	- What spi we use in the SPI field in the connected
	  notification if we are negotiation AH+ESP etc.

Supporting things
-----------------

	- Vendors not doing group 1.
	- Vendors not doing DES.
	- Vendors not supporting aggressive mode
	- Vendors not supporting FQDN as identity for phase 1.
	- Vendors not supporting tunnel mode.

Notifications
-------------

	- SPI inside the initial contact notification
	- Does the initial contact must be encrypted.
	- Vendors not implementing notification payloads.
	- Some vendors do not support main mode and they dont send
	  proper notification (invalid exchange type), but they send
	  some other error message.
	- Delete payload problems, can we send delete payloads
	  in all packets?
	- Does the delete for phase 1 SA need the protection from the
	  phase 1 SA
	- Clarify what SPI to send in the Delete payload.

Certificates
------------

	- Multiple certificate formats
	- Vendors require ip-address in certificates
	- Vendors not putting ip-address in certificates
	- How to bind certificate and ID together
	- UTF 8 encoding in certificates
	- Vendors not able to handle several certificate requests
	- Vendors requiring certificates to be on specific order.
	- Vendors not able to handle certificates having multiple
	  subject alt names

Son of the IKE
--------------

	- Vendors implementing parts of the son of the IKE draft, but
	  it is expired. For example SPI size. New notifications,
	  using old exchange number.
	- What is the status of this.

Lifetime
--------

	- Lifetime problems (configuring them)
	- Lifetime what are the defaults, we need defaults
	- When we use defaults. Only if no lifetime attributes, or
	  only when one of them is missing.
	- Phase 1 SA lifetimes in kilobytes.
	- Using variable length encoding for kilobyte lifetimes.

IPComp
------

	- The IKE does not work well with only ipcomp and with well
	  known cpis
	- CPI size (2 or 4).
	- IPComp problems.

Comments about the plans to combine ISAKMP+IKE+IPSEC DOI to one document:
Q: 7) If we are going to do that are we allowed to change the bits in the
      wire?