Re: TOS copying considered harmful

Henry Spencer writes:
 > On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Olivier Kreet wrote:
 > > The best thing would probably be to have one tunnel per class of
 > > service, but it is not always possible to set up parallel tunnels on
 > > today's IPSec implementations (e.g. linux Freeswan).
 >
 > Also, whether this is "best" depends on your priorities.  Making the TOS
 > field visible -- whether in one tunnel or parallel tunnels -- provides a
 > hint to traffic analysts and a covert channel for Trojan horses, so the
 > underlying assumption that this should be done is itself questionable.

   You really can't have it both ways though. In
   practice, I'm not sure what this will have
   really bought you from a traffic analysis
   standpoint: if I sniff packets in a tunnel,
   it's probably not going to take a lot of
   effort to notice that the packets popping
   out every 10ms are probably RTP packets.

   As to whether it should be done: if my choice
   is to mark the traffic and get acceptible QoS
   or not mark the traffic and get unacceptible
   QoS, any perceived security gain isn't buying
   you much if the base level communication is
   compromised beyond usability. It's not hard
   to imagine congested links and real time
   requirements where QoS is the critical problem.

 > I note, also, that TOS isn't in 2401's list of packet selectors, so there
 > is no requirement in the current IPsec architecture that such parallel
 > tunnels be supported.

   Arguably, IPsec is on the wrong side. The
   RSVP aggregation draft allows selectors based
   on TOS. There really should be flow selector
   police so that there is consistent flow selection
   requirements throughout IETF protocols.

		Mike