Re: ICMP "Destination unreachable" - should it be sent?

Henry Spencer writes:
 > On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Stefan Schlott wrote:
 > > ..."Destination Unreachable Message
 > > Code 1 - communication with destination administratively prohibited"
 > > Should this message be sent when a packet does not conform to the local
 > > security policy database (spd), or should such packets be silently dis-
 > > carded?
 >
 > The central question is whether the ICMP message is believable.
 >
 > If it will flow via an authenticated path (e.g. an IPsec tunnel) or via a
 > physically-secure path (e.g. on the "interior" side of a security gateway,
 > where plaintext communication is normal), then sending it is probably
 > wise... although administrators might want to be able to control that.
 >
 > If it will flow via an insecure path, then what good is it?  The receiver
 > can't trust it to tell the truth.  At most, it might give the receiver a
 > hint that communications difficulties are occurring, but the receiver
 > cannot trust that report without confirming it by other means.

   This strikes me as completely backward: the sender should *always*
   send it. It is the *receiver's* job to determine whether it is
   believable. Having the sender second guess what the receiver
   should and should not discard sounds like a great way to cause
   an interoperability deadlock.

		      Mike