Re: ICMP "Destination unreachable" - should it be sent?

Stephen Kent writes:
 > >    This strikes me as completely backward: the sender should *always*
 > >    send it. It is the *receiver's* job to determine whether it is
 > >    believable. Having the sender second guess what the receiver
 > >    should and should not discard sounds like a great way to cause
 > >    an interoperability deadlock.
 >
 > A receiving end system that has an IPsec Sg somewhere in front of it
 > is not necessarily able to know whether the sender is a secure
 > source. I interpret Henry's advice in the context of that SG, and
 > there is seems appropriate.

   I guess I'm being really dense -- or maybe I've
   missed something pertinent -- because I don't
   see the receiver's job any easier or harder
   because there is an upstream SG. The upstream
   SG may or may not filter ICMP, but that's just
   a normal firewallesque filtering decision,
   right? Maybe what I'm missing is what this
   has to do with IPsec per se.

	  Mike