From: EXT Tero Kivinen [mailto:kivinen@ssh.fi]
Sent: 06. October 2000 19:36
To: antonio.barrera@nokia.com
Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Notification payloads IV

antonio.barrera@nokia.com writes:
> 	How is the IV computed for notification messages in IKE Phase I?

It is not computed. You send the error message in clear until you
receive the final Phase I packet and get the last Phase I CBC block to
start your IV calculations.

> 	However, I'm not really sure how to do it for Phase I when
> encryption is applied (messages 5 and 6) and an error is found.
> Is it explained somewhere?

No. It is not explained anywhere, and different implementations are
doing it differently. I know there are implementations which send
those notifications encrypted and I don't know which IV they are
using.
--
kivinen@ssh.fi                               Work : +358 303 9870
SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/