Re: Reliable delete notifies

I'm somewhat divided on the aggressive mode issue.

While I'm all for a full-fledged roll-out of PKI, it hasn't happened yet. As
I've argued internally here at cisco, it's primarily the fact that we keep
coming up with (sometimes ingenious, sometimes insecure) hacks so that we
don't have to use PKI (Like group pre-shared keys. YIKES), because most
customers are still very much afraid of PKI (for a myriad of reasons).

So until PKI rolls out, aggressive mode is still very much needed, especially
in the VPN space, which HAS to work through firewalls and (tadaa!!) NAT.

Counterview: Maybe getting rid of aggressive mode will speed up the need for
a concerted effort on PKI.

On the other hand, if we simply deprecate aggressive mode, then I'm afraid
we're pusihing a lot of people towards SSL solutions to the above VPN through
NAT problem. And that's NOT something I like, personally.

Using aggressive mode and picking your shared secret based on the ID is the
only thing that's keeping a lot of VPN still on the verge of usability. Let's
face it: IKE and IPSec through firewalls and NAT is still very fragile (in
part because firewalls and NAT vendors can't seem to get it right).

If we deprecate Aggressive mode, then we're going to have to take a LONG hard
look at what it'll take to make ike and ipsec work robustly in scenarios
involving firewalls and NAT. Think especially about older firewalls, and the
fact that you may not be able to get rid of them (they may not be in your
control). I assume we all want ipsec to survive, and there's still a lot of
NAT devices and firewalls through which ipsec simply doesn't work. Assume
that these will not go away or be replaced in the near future. Getting rid of
aggressive mode means we need to make it work. I'm not sure how.

One might argue that we could get rid of aggressive mode, and let IPSRA
figure out the above problem. But that's really shirking our responsibility.

My 2c, anyway.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: