Re: Replacing private lines with tunnels

    Sanjai> connectivity between the gateway routers. Now suppose the private
    Sanjai> lines are replaced by IPSec tunnels. Then any-to-any connectivity
    Sanjai> will be lost.  This is because router interfaces at tunnel
    Sanjai> endpoints will, in general, not belong to the same subnet, so
    Sanjai> OSPF won't work.

  If you are saying that OSPF does not work when one uses unnumebered PPP
links, then I guess you are right. I don't see why that should be the case.
  There are IPsec implementations that actually have interfaces for the
tunnels. NRL's was one. Recent implementations have abandoned this, claiming
scalability reasons.

    Sanjai> So, what can be done to restore any-to-any connectivity between
    Sanjai> the gateway routers? In particular, do people implement a form of
    Sanjai> static routing over tunnels, i.e., direct the traffic coming out
    Sanjai> of one tunnel into another?

  Some do.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [