Re: ike and secure DNS

%
% In message <200010111521.IAA25142@zed.isi.edu>, Bill Manning writes:
% >% My point is that the records of who owns (or has the delegation for, if
% >% you prefer) address blocks are not very good.  Why sign something that
% >% isn't correct to start with?
% >%
% >% 		--Steve Bellovin
% >
% >What is the source of your concern?  That the various RIR whois data is
% >inaccurate? Or that the delegations themselves are "busted", ie. no working
% >servers?
%
% The former is the main issue.
%
% 		--Steve Bellovin

Ah, a known issue. At least one RIR has baroque methods for updating
contact data and significant penelties (including fiscal) if the current
rules are not enforced when an update is attempted. There is also limited
encourgment to facilitate local administration of such data (eg. rWhois)
These conspire to ensure people do not touch the RIR data unless
absolutely needed. But the DNS delegations work and it is possible to
get accurate data from the delegation heirarchy even if the whois data
is wrong. And since we are talking about the DNS and not whois, I'm
less concerned.

--bill