RE: charter question re IKE changes

Steve:

"Most" is the operative word, because there has also been very extensive
discussion and repeated suggestions and pleas to replace Aggressive Mode
with Base Mode. This certainly sounds like an "add" as well as a "remove" to
me.

Be that as it may, to ellaborate on what I take to be John's point, one of
the spectres against which IPsec is fighting is, unlike the SSL community,
the IPsec community decided that everyone needs mutual authentication all
the time, 100% without exception, regardless of any and all other
considerations. My belief, for what it is worth, is experience now shows
that this was a genuinely bad decision, and the creation of IPSRA to solve
the legacy authentication problem simply confirms this. Real deployments
need strong one way authentication of an infrastructure or community to a
newly enrolling participant in order to bootstrap; requiring strong two way
authentication even during enrollment has created the deployment nightmare
that IPSRA has been chartered to fix. Both of the IPSRA proposals on the
table make use of this realization by essentially relying on one-way
authentication to get around the chicken and egg problem that exists at
deployment time. IPSRA words the problem much differently than I've
charaterized it here, but it is the same problem.

It seems to me that the PIC proposal in particular could easily be
incorporated into the larger IKE framework, obviate the need for this IPSRA
legacy authentication task, and result in a much more widely deployable and
usable IPsec.

Just my two cents.

-- Jesse