Re: Definition of PFS...

    Andrew> I recently decided to do some research on something that has
    Andrew> bugged me for quite awhile now: What is the point of doing PFS in
    Andrew> phase 2?

    Andrew> The reason I wonder about this is that presumably you will use
    Andrew> the same group in phase 2 that you used in phase 1, so if an
    Andrew> adversary can crack your phase 1 DH then he can presumably expend
    Andrew> the 1 bit of additional effort required to crack the phase 2
    Andrew> DH. It seems like you would be better off using a larger modulus

  PFS does not just defend against being attacked.

  It also defends against the situation where a third party compels one
party to provide some set of keys. PFS guarantees that a simple search warant
only catches traffic *currently* in transit, not all previous and future
traffic.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
	mailto:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca	mailto:mcr@solidum.com

Follow-Ups: References: