RE: charter question re IKE changes

At 12:51 PM -0400 10/12/00, Stephen Kent wrote:
>Given this perspective, remind me again why knowledgeable folks
>prefer passwords, IF we provide them with good software for the
>initial certificate issuance process, working from an existing
>password database :-)

Because we don't. I agree with your perspectives about how it *could*
work, but that's not what is being delivered. Today's users make
choices based on what is available to them today.

I also think the market disagrees with you about smart cards. Smart
cards are only useful where there are smart card readers. They become
an obstacle where there are no readers.

Again, I fully support the use of certs and wish that more users
agreed with me. But they don't, and designing a protocol around a
wish that has had plenty of time to come true but hasn't is a good
way to design yet another protocol that won't get implemented.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

Follow-Ups: References: