	From:  Andrew Krywaniuk [SMTP:andrew.krywaniuk@alcatel.com]
	Sent:  Friday, October 13, 2000 11:51 AM
	To:  sommerfeld@East.Sun.COM; 'Michael Richardson'
	Cc:  'IP Security List'
	Subject:  RE: Definition of PFS...

	That's what I thought. To me, it makes more sense to limit key
exposure via.
	phase 1 rekeying rather than by PFS. It's slightly slower (if your
	CertSign/CertVerify operations are comparable in CPU time to your DH
	calculation), but the security tradeoffs make more sense.

	I suppose that QM PFS does have a value (as an optimization of phase
1
	rekeying) solely for the purpose of combatting search warrants.
Assuming
	that:

	1. key escrow is not required
	2. law enforcement officers can bypass your box's tamper-proof
mechanisms
	3. but they are ethically prevented from cryptographically
impersonating you

	then you would indeed be able to limit your key exposure using PFS.

	But for the purpose of preventing against active or passive attacks
by
	persons other than law enforcement, DH refresh without
re-authentication
	doesn't do that much for you.

	What concerns me is that, as with many things in IKE, the intent of
this
	feature is not documented, particularly the security model in which
DH
	refresh without re-authentication is "warranted" :-)

	Consequently, most implementers I have talked to don't understand
what the
	supposed purpose of PFS is (most of them will cite the log(n) added
security
	argument, which really isn't significant).

	Andrew
	Beauty with out truth is insubstantial.
	Truth without beauty is unbearable.

IKE
	> and AH/ESP SA's really are..
	>
	> If your AH/ESP SA lifetimes are 12 hours, this gives someone 12
hours
	> of traffic even if quick mode with PFS was used to create them.
	>
	> Similarly, if you don't use PFS in quick mode, but limit your IKE
SA's