	From:  Andrew Krywaniuk [SMTP:andrew.krywaniuk@alcatel.com]
	Sent:  Friday, October 13, 2000 3:54 PM
	Cc:  'IP Security List'
	Subject:  RE: Definition of PFS...

	Actually, phase 2 rekeying without PFS already fully protects
against
	attacks based on encrypted data (unless you think you can break an
HMAC more
	easily than a DH).

	If PFS is being used as an optimization to phase 1 rekeying
(skipping the
	authentication phase), then I was going to suggest what Dave said
(replacing
	SKEYID_D from the phase 1 with the new DH value and doing PFS only
	occasionally).

	But even so, I still can't think of any threat models (except for
the
	ethical law-enforcement one) that would be mitigated by using PFS as
an
	optimization.

	Andrew
	--------------------------------------
	Beauty with out truth is insubstantial.
	Truth without beauty is unbearable.

Krywaniuk'
	> Cc: 'IP Security List'
	> Subject: RE: Definition of PFS...
	>
	>
	> The amount of data encrypted using a key is limited by doing phase
2
	> rekeying with PFS. This prevents attack based on encrypted
	> data. So, DH
	> refresh without re-authentication prevents ciphertext only attack.
	>
	> Ofcourse, doing phase 1 rekeying with every phase 2 rekeying,
	> is more safe
	> but does have a overhead.
	>
	> Rajesh M

warrants.
	> Assuming
	> 	that:
	>
	> 	1. key escrow is not required
	> 	2. law enforcement officers can bypass your box's
tamper-proof