RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-modp-groups-00.txt

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Joe MacLellan wrote:
> I know this was commented on before, but does anyone have any idea what
> group "XX" will likely be for these new modp groups? (ie 2048 is Group XX,
> 3072 is Group XX+1, 4096 is XX+2).

One can make guesses, based on existing assignments... but as I understand
it, the rule is that drafts -- which may or may not eventually become real
RFCs -- are not supposed to encroach on the number space.  There is no
official XX until the draft becomes an RFC.  Any interim numbering done by
a particular implementation should use the private-use part of the number
space, *not* a guess at what the official numbers might someday be.

> Is this something that Dan will be rolling into the son-of-ike draft as
> well?

I would say that there's no particular reason to do that (although he
might want to reference it).

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net

Follow-Ups: References: