Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-modp-groups-00.txt

Henry Spencer wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Joe MacLellan wrote:
> > I know this was commented on before, but does anyone have any idea what
> > group "XX" will likely be for these new modp groups? (ie 2048 is Group XX,
> > 3072 is Group XX+1, 4096 is XX+2).
>
> One can make guesses, based on existing assignments... but as I understand
> it, the rule is that drafts -- which may or may not eventually become real
> RFCs -- are not supposed to encroach on the number space.  There is no
> official XX until the draft becomes an RFC.  Any interim numbering done by
> a particular implementation should use the private-use part of the number
> space, *not* a guess at what the official numbers might someday be.

Right. However, I'd rather like someone to set the number so everyone
would use the same private numbers, rather than every vendor using their
own. It'd make testing easier.

Ari

--
Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 859 900
Senior Software Engineer       fax  : +358 9 8599 0452

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F-Secure products: Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security

Follow-Ups: References: