Re: NAT and IPsec

"Joseph D. Harwood" wrote:

> Regarding hosts not being required to implement IPsec tunnel mode, RFC 2401,
> Section 4.1:
>
> "In summary,
>         a) A host MUST support both transport and tunnel mode.
>         b) A security gateway is required to support only tunnel mode..."
>
> Has this changed?  How would a host that doesn't support tunnel mode talk to
> another host behind a security gateway?

Hmm.. You're right, it's just been so long since I read RFC2401.

I think such hosts do L2TP over IPsec to the gateway.

Ari

--
Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 859 900
Senior Software Engineer       fax  : +358 9 8599 0452

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F-Secure products: Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security