Re: Out of Sync Security Policies - Design Flaw

I am in agreement that you cannot have out of sync policies with the current
RFCs.

You should not fail the IPsec SA negotiation due  to a wildcard mismatch. The
intention for the wildcards is that one side does not care about the selector.
Using this logic, if the initiator gives a range of IP addresses, then the
responder must also have the same range of addresses in its security policy.

I believe that a third Id payload would be required:

- Id payload for Initiator's security policy selectors
- Id payload for Responder's security policy selectors
- Id payload for Initiator's packet selectors

With the above, each side could accurately put the most granular selectors in
its SA (indirect negotiation of policy selectors).

Kim

Follow-Ups: References: