Re: RFC 2401 section 5.2.1

Henry Spencer wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > >Strongly agree.  We'd like to see AH die entirely...
> >
> >       (again this holy war on AH)
> >       I don't.  if you use transport mode IPsec heavily (unlike today's
> >       VPN-only situation) how can you protect your header portion?
>
> Why would you have to use transport mode IPsec heavily?  What problem does
> it solve that tunnel mode doesn't?

Tunnel mode (in current implementations I'm aware of, at least) does not
support dynamic routing inside a VPN, since IPsec tunnels aren't
represented in routing tables.

What does tunnel mode give you that IPIP tunnels + IPsec transport mode
don't? Inbound processing for both should be identical, since you can't
tell the difference by looking at the packet.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>                 Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/                University of Southern California