Re: RFC 2401 section 5.2.1

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Lars Eggert wrote:
> > Why would you have to use transport mode IPsec heavily?  What problem does
> > it solve that tunnel mode doesn't?
>
> Tunnel mode (in current implementations I'm aware of, at least) does not
> support dynamic routing inside a VPN, since IPsec tunnels aren't
> represented in routing tables.

This is a problem in routing implementation, not IPsec tunnel mode.  There
is no reason why IPsec tunnels shouldn't be represented in routing tables.

> What does tunnel mode give you that IPIP tunnels + IPsec transport mode
> don't?

Most notably, IPsec SPD checking of the inner headers, which is of some
small importance for network security.

> Inbound processing for both should be identical, since you can't
> tell the difference by looking at the packet.

Life would be simpler if that were so, but it's not.  See RFC 2401.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net

Follow-Ups: References: