RE: RFC 2401 section 5.2.1

Hi,
For the past few days, I have seen lots of discussion on the relevance of
transport and tunnel modes. Although I am not working on these protocols for
a very long time, but I see no reason for the relevance of transport mode
over the tunnel mode. The reason being:

1) Ref : RFC 2401, Section 4.1  Definition and scope.
  It says
	 "In IPv4, a transport mode security protocol header
  	 appears immediately after the IP header and any options, and before
  	 any higher layer protocols (e.g., TCP or UDP)".

	i.e.  In transport mode, the packet will look like [IP][ESP][HLP].
Here I have taken ESP as an example.
Now we see that in this case, ESP will encrypt *only* [HLP] and thus IP is
not protected i.e. encrypted. Even if we select authentication in ESP, the
IP header is not protected.

  About Tunnel Mode, RFC 2401 says,
	"The security protocol header appears after the outer IP header, and
   before the inner IP header".

 	i.e. In Tunnel Mode, the packet will look like [outer
IP][ESP][InnerIP][HLP].
Now we see that ESP can encrypt the inner IP packet thus maintaining its
confidentiality. If authentication in ESP is used, the inner IP header is
fully authenticated also. And I think a security protocol should work in
this manner.

So, having this argument, I see no reason for Transport mode being more
relevant than the Tunnel Mode.
Any suggestion/correction in this regard is most welcome.

2) Now taking up the argument that transport mode with tunneling is same as
Tunnel mode in IPSec.
	The tunneled transport mode protected packet will look like :
			[OuterIP][InnerIP][ESP][HLP].
	If my first point is correct, then we can see the extent of coverage in
this case on the same lines as before and compare it with the Tunnel mode
protected packet, which will look like,
			[OuterIP][ESP][InnerIP][HLP].

	Again on the same arguments, Tunnel mode will provide better protection
compared to Transport mode.

Any suggestions or corrections to my arguments are most welcome.

Regards,
Awan.

Follow-Ups: References: