Re: RFC 2401 section 5.2.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francis Dupont" <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>

>    Why not?  It can do everything transport mode does.  (In particular, it
is
>    perfectly capable of working host-to-host.)
>
> => the price (in complexity, in overhead in packets, ...) is not the same.
> This is like the tunnel/routing header issue and IMHO should have the same
> kind of solution:
>  - if you cannot use a header then you must use a tunnel
>  - if you can use a header then you should use it.
> With you must not modify packets in route this gives headers (transport
mode
> for IPsec, routing header and home address option for mobility, ...) for
> end-to-end operation and tunnels for other cases.
> I really believe the end-to-end principle asks for the transport mode,
> and the tunnel mode is a half-wedding (a PACS in French :-) between IPsec
> and generic tunnels.

Transport mode does not solve the end-to-end security problem.
In fact, either mode of IPSec cannot traverse NAT and is not
capable of providing end-to-end security. One exception is the
LAN configuration where you do not have to deal with NAT. There,
one can use the transport mode for end-to-end security. A whole
lot of work has been done to address this problem, e.g. RSIP,
UDP encapsulation etc.

For a discussion of the end-to-end security problem, take a look
at this draft. In there you will also find references to other work
done on end-to-end security problem.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shukla-ipsec-nat-qos-compatible-se
curity-00.txt

~Jayant