Re: RFC 2401 section 5.2.1

There was no discussion later in this thread for the questions raised
by you. Here are some thoughts based on IPv6 specifications:

Quoting from RFC2460 section 4:

    The contents and semantics of each extension header determine whether or
    not to proceed to the next header.  Therefore, extension headers must
    be processed strictly in the order they appear in the packet; a
    receiver must not, for example, scan through a packet looking for a
    particular kind of extension header and process that header prior to
    processing all preceding ones.

So looks like for the receive side we have no option but to process all
the headers before going to HLP and do the processing as stipulated
by RFC2401 section 5.1.2.

For the outbound side, we need to make sure that binding updates
are placed such that changes to the addresses by the binding updates
are the last effective ones before the SPD processing, when this packet
is received at the other end. So piggybacking would be fine, as long as
the above requirement is met. This would raise new questions though, i.e.
decision that such a requirement is meant.