Re: On transport-level policy enforcement (was Re: RFC 2401...)

Dan,

I was away for a week, and terribly far behind, so this reply is way
of out order, but ...

Your analysis of how to do the checking is fine for a native host
implementation where per-connection state is already available. In a
security gateway, the problem is a bit different. We wrote the
generic checking description we didn't know how to cache SPD rules in
such circumstances. We now have ways of doing that which do not
violate the SPD ordering assumption. The next rev of 2401 will update
the inbound processing discussion accordingly.  We can also divide
the discussion into SG vs. native host environments, to simplify
matters.

Steve