IPSEC Ciphers?

At Minneapolis and later in Oslo, there were discussions in the IPSEC
and SAAG mtgs to deprecate DES in favor of 3DES - and later AES for use
with IKE (at least according to my notes the Minneapolis discussion was
to change from DES to 3DES in Phase I of IKE). In Oslo, there was a
discussion of 3DES vs. AES and it was decided to wait until the AES
winner was announced - but in the meantime, 3DES was to replace DES as
the IPSEC mandated cipher.

Is there an updated RFC, ID, IESG, or IAB note stating this to be the
case that can be referenced?  All I can find are RFCs 2451 (CBC
Ciphers), 2405 (DES w/explict IV), and 1851 (3DES - experimental) - but
nothing that says use DES in place of 3DES.

Thanks,

Howie

Howard Weiss                          phone (410) 381-9400 x201
SPARTA, Inc.                                (301) 621-8145 x201 (DC)
9861 Broken Land Parkway              fax:  (410) 381-5559
Columbia, MD 21046                    email: hsw@columbia.sparta.com