Re: Mobile IPv6 - IPsec interaction.

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   The exact contents and format of the SPD is implementation dependent.
   There are some minimal requirements required by 2401.  But basically,
   you would have something that says:

   	mobile-host 11.22.33.44 uses i-d fqdn.mobile.host with rsa-key XXX

=> do you know an implementation which provides or will provide this
(BTW I think the "with rsa-key XXX" is not needed, ie. this is done by
the certificate and relies on the PKI config).

   > => this (identification+authentication) is known to be not enough for
   > the proper authorization.

   Why?

=> because a policy must be involved. Phase I doesn't do the policy,
it just estiblishes the context for the policy/authorization stuff.

   identification + authentication is sufficient to lookup the
   Policy and provide authorization.  The client (mobile host) doesn't
   prove that they are authorized, they prove that they have a particular
   ID.  Then the server (home agent) looks up that ID in the database and
   can be assured that the (requested) home address actually belongs to
   that mobile host.

=> we agree but some people want to see the corresponding running code
(perhaps this is too much but this is a good thing for future
interoperability so I agree that "add the authorization word in specs"
is not enough for the real world).

   >    In the phase II my laptop will create tunnel between 11.22.33.44 and
   >    the home agent, and now the home agent knows that this IKE SA
   >    connection is bound to my laptop which then is bound to home address
   >    of 11.22.33.44, thus this operation can succeed.
   >
   > => the "then is bound to" is our point: how is it done?

   Phase-II is _ALWAYS_ bound to phase-I, because the phase-II
   negotiation is completed within the protection of a phase-I SA.  That
   gives you the binding between phase-I and phase-II.  The two phases
   are _NOT_ independent.  You cannot complete a phase-II without having
   a completed (and valid) phase-I.

=> but you justifies only the "this IKE SA connection is bound to my laptop",
not the second binding.

   >    You have to remeber that authentication of the remote end happens in
   >    the Phase I, and after that you know who is on the other end of that
   >    IKE SA.
   >
   > => we agree, the issue is an authorization (only!) issue.

   Authorization is a function of the server, and is completed by the
   following steps:

   	1) Client identifies itself
   	2) Client authenticates as identity
   	3) Server verifies authentication and returns an error if it fails
   	4) Client makes a request for a mobile-host binding <-- action
   	5) Server looks up identity in policy database
   		a) verifies that binding matches policy
   		b) if not, return an error
   		c) if binding matches policy db, perform the binding

   Steps 1, 2, and 3 are already done by IPSec.  Steps 4 and 5 are
   somewhat IPSec and somewhat MobileIP.

=> my concerns are steps 4 and 5: IPsec doesn't really explain how they
are done and Mobile IP only requires them...

Thanks

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr

Follow-Ups: References: