RE: ipsec error protocol

Hi,

To clarify, I am not assuming there is a phase2 SA avialable for the
reserved SPI.
I am suggesting we use the reserved SPI as a way to specify error packets
for ipsec.
The reserved SPI is an identifier to say the payload inside is an ipsec
error packet.
The payload may be an error packet of type 'encrypted ping' for any specific
phase2 SA
that the peer wants to check the health of.

The format I was proposing was

    ip header
    ESP with reserved SPI
    Header for ipsec error (different type of errors/controls can also be
adefined a.k.a icmp)
    IPSec error/control payload (can be another ESP header containing the
encrypted ping payload
    for a specific SPI that the peer is interested in)

As you can see, the reserverd SPI is only used to tunnel the actual
error/control packet we
are interested in. Using the reserved SPI clearly can allow an ipsec
implementation to identify
the payload as a control packet for ipsec purposes.

There can be no phase2 SA with reserved SPI, since it cannot be negotiated
as per the spec.
Hence if an ike implementation receives a ESP payload with reserved SPI, it
can be safely
treated as carrying a ipsec control packet in the clear.

Different type of ipsec control packets can be defined one of which can be
an encrypted
ping on a specific phase2 SA the peer is interested in. If the receiving
ipsec implementation
has the SA and is able to decrypt the encrypted ping-request, it can send a
encrypted-reply
tunneled in ESP payload with the reserved SPI.

Currently as defined ipsec is a network layer encapsulation method without
clear path for
error/control packets. This proposal tries to address it.

-- sankar --