Re: ipsec error protocol

Agree but let me reverse the argument: once IPSec has detected the problem, what can it do on its own ? Little but asking IKE to fix it...

Notice that I see your point: you'd let IPSec delete the offending SA and the lack of SA on the sender side would trigger IKE as it exists today and the tunnels would be recreated. But as I was telling you: you had the choice of the transportation method and you chose a dedicated SA. But you do not tell us what to do with it...

Now, if you think of it: IPSec *does* detect the problem (unknown SPI received). And it is simply asking IKE to do something about it. We just give IKE the possibility to do something without opening a DoS door.

It is not very different than the usual case: IPSec misses an outbound SA and it asks IKE to fix it (and IKE negotiate SA's on the fly).

Now, maybe we could start criticizing the exchange itself... and see if we can improve it or forget it. Is everyone filtering out threads on recovery mechanisms ? :)

	frederic

--
                     Frederic Detienne

                     Tel 32 2 704 55 55