Re: Increased sequence number in ESP/AH

"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

> In message <3A6DF166.60200CD1@columbia.sparta.com>, Andrea Colegrove writes:
> >Steve,
> >    How does this address freshness (anti-replay)?
> >
> >    Is this intended only as a useful feature for high-speed devices that may
> >need additional SA lifetime?
> >

> OC-192 -- deployed in some of today's backbones -- is roughly 1
> gigabyte/second.  Multiply by whatever you think is the average packet
> size, and multiply again by 4 -- but it's not a large number for the
> duration of an SA.
>
>                 --Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb

Yes, but do we expect those backbone devices to be doing IPSEC? Perhaps a limited
amount for management functions -- remote admin login, ICMP, routing protocols --
but I wouldn't expect them to be doing it for bulk traffic.

Methinks bulk traffic encryption needs to be as near end-to-end as practical, if not
on the end user systems, then on local routers and firewalls. Almost by definition,
that excludes backbone routers. You want them just shuffling packets. Routing is
hard enough without adding IPSEC to that mix.

OC-3 is the largest pipe I'd expect near enough to the edges that we want to see
IPSEC on it. 155 Mbit/sec, ~ 20 Mbyte, certainly less than 1 M packets/sec, so
over an hour between re-keyinga. No problem.

If we're contemplating any changes to the protocol, we want some that bring us
nearer to the end-to-end goal, IPSEC on end-point systems.

Follow-Ups: References: