RE: ipsec error protocol

> > What are the kind of attacks possible?
>
> a. I do not see any attack that could not be done on IKE.
>
> b. So far, no one sees one.
>
> c. That is exactly why I asked the list and why I am trying
> to write this ~@#&% draft.

Realistically speaking, there are only 2 attacks we need to worry about: DoS
and excessive generation of known plaintext. Both are possible, to varying
extents, with any of the methods we have seen proposed.

> > If one side needs a very fast recovery, a keep-alive
> > equivalent protocol can be implemented using the messages provided
> > in ipsec error protocol.
>
> NO. Once and for all: keepalives are Bad. Evil. Broken.
>
> You shifted your own scheme from keepalives to acknowledgements...

Can we please not be dogmatic about this? Keepalives come with certain
well-known pitfalls; if you know what they are, you can invent a scheme with
whatever design tolerances you desire.

Anddrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.

Follow-Ups: References: