Re: ipsec error protocol

> Can we please not be dogmatic about this? Keepalives come with certain
> well-known pitfalls; if you know what they are, you can invent a scheme with
> whatever design tolerances you desire.

keepalives:

 - do not quickly detect loss of state unless the keepalive timeout is
very short.

 - generate traffic even when applications have nothing to say.  if
the keepalive timeout is short, they may even generate more overhead
packets than "real" traffic

 - have no way to distinguish temporary loss of connectivity
from permanent loss of state, resulting in premature
disconnects.

They are an extremely poor fit for the problem.

				- Bill