RE: ipsec error protocol

Title: RE: ipsec error protocol
At 2:16 PM -0800 1/31/01, sankar ramamoorthi wrote:

If I understand correctly what you are saying

on-the-wire 32 bit sequence is first treated as the lower order 32
bits of a 64 bit sequence window. Once it overflows, it is treated as
higher order 32 bits of the sequence window with the lower order
32 bits pegged at 64k-1(I presume).

No. the on-the-wire bits are always treated as the low order 32 bits of the sequence number. if two IPsec peers negotiate a large sequence number space, then when the low order bits overflow, they increment the high order part of the counter. Thus, every 2**32 packets, the high order part of the counter increments by 1.

 If that is the case we are  using the 64bit window as two independent 32 bit
windows. Does'nt it limit the amount of available window space and forces
the rekeying to occur every (400*2) or (400*3) secs?

no, see explanation above.

Steve