Re: ipsec error protocol

"sankar ramamoorthi" <sankar@nexsi.com> writes:

> If the receiver window is limited to 2**32 bits, then it means
> at 10Gig/sec speeds  the receiver has to rekey after 400 seconds.

No, the receiver 'replay' window is limited to 2^32 bits.  This means
you can only accept packets within this 400-second window, so if a
packet gets delayed by 400 seconds it will be dropped (because it is
now outside this window).  You still only need to rekey every 2^64,
which is 400*2^32 seconds, which is a LARGE number.

> Is that acceptable?

I think the limitation of dropping packets delayed by 400s may be
acceptible, provided we're not talking about interplanetary internets.
I certainly believe that the 400*2^32 is sufficiently large.

-derek