Re: Need help! Regarding aggressive mode of Oakley

I can only guess:

(1) EHAS is necessary in the 3rd msg so that the responder can be assured that
     the initiator correctly received the responder's choice.
(2) the need for GRP is not clear;
     but, it'll make the 1st msg and the 3rd msg use the same format
(3) similarly for g^x;
     with one comment: the responder won't have to retain the 1st msg after it
     sends out the 2nd msg.

Neeraj Kapoor wrote:

> hello friends! i am new to this list . and obviously i have a problem. Can
> anybody tell me in the case of the aggressive mode of Oakley Protocol why does
> the initiator needs to send the g^x again to the reponder in the 3'rd mesg along
> with the group information and also EHAS ? (in the case of Oakley protocol)
>
> CKY-I, CKY-R, OK_KEYX, GRP, g^x, EHAS, NIDP,ID(I), ID(R), Ni, Nr, S{ID(I) |
> ID(R) | Ni | Nr | GRP | g^x | g^y | EHAS}Ki
>
> This statement of mine if with reference to RFC2412 of Oakley Protocol.
>
> thanks in advance
> neeraj

Gwangsoo Rhee <rhee@sookmyung.ac.kr>
tel: +82-2-710-9429  fax: 710-9296