RE: exchange type 6?

Steve,

Actually, I think that allocating a number to "deprecated" or "historical"
does not give a protocol credence in the eyes of users. In fact, quite the
opposite.

Dan,

Mail to "dharkins@potassium.cips.nokia.com" is bouncing. You may want to
look into this.

If an individual makes deliberate, repeated attempts to circumvent the IANA
process then I agree that those numbers should not be registered. However,
in cases like config mode or ripemd or group 5 where the mistake was
probably accidental and several other implementers have also used the
number, possibly whilst ignorant of the fact that it wasn't officially
registered, I don't think it is *SENSIBLE* to reuse the number for something
else.

According to Paul's scheme, I guess this makes me a member of religion #2.

You have suggested that I might not be acting in good faith, but if you
remember I even wrote a draft
(draft-krywaniuk-ipsec-attribute-exchange-00.txt) which suggests a way to
solve this issue without causing an interoperability nightmare.

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.

Follow-Ups: References: