Re: Internet Draft for explicit security labels in IPv6.

In message <200103012137.NAA12627@domus.ebay.sun.com>, Kais Belgaied writes:
>>>It mandates a guarantee that the label on the IPv6 is authentic before trust
>in
>>>it. In a link-local scope, where the label is proposed to be carried in the
>>>destination header, ESP is mandatory and sufficient.
>>>On a wider scope, AH is necessary.
>>
>>Or it could be bound to the certificate and recreated at the far end.
>
>It could, with the scalability limitation of implicit labeling.

I'm afraid I don't see the limitation.  The certificate itself could
contain the label.

There are two cases, transport mode IPsec and tunnel mode.  In tunnel
mode, as Kent pointed out, there is an inner IP header, option fields,
etc.; in this case, the receiving gateway may wish to verify the labels
in the inner header, but need do nothing.

Transport mode is end-to-end, in which case the machine receiving the
packet is either the ultimate end point -- in which case it can extract
the label from the certificate and pass them up to TCP together -- or
it's a bump-in-the-{wire,stack} on that machine.  In such cases, it
should be quite straightforward to add the certificate's label -- if
nothing else, it's already reassembling the packet to combine the IP
header and the body, which were separated by the IPsec header.