RE: SHA-256/384/512

Thanks for your feedback.

A related question about AES counter mode for encryption with AES-MAC for
authentication...

The slides proposed AES counter mode so data blocks could be encrypted in
parallel (unlike CBC, which requires the results from block N before
beginning encryption of block N+1).  If I remember correctly, MAC
authentication would be encrypting every block via AES using some sort of
feedback, and using the final ciphertext as the authentication data.
Something like:

Hash[n+1] = Block[n+1] ^ Encrypt(Data = Block[n+1],Key = Hash[n])
AES-MAC == Hash[Last Block]

This means AES-MAC for authentication would have a similar performance to
AES-CBC for encryption, so there wouldn't be an overall performance
advantage in using AES counter mode with parallel hardware for encryption.
Is this correct?

Best Regards,
Joseph D. Harwood
jharwood@vesta-corp.com
www.vesta-corp.com

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Harwood;Joseph;D.
FN:Joseph D. Harwood
ORG:Vesta Corporation
ADR;WORK:;(408) 838-9434;5201 Great America Parkway, Suite 320;Santa Clara;CA;95054
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:(408) 838-9434=0D=0A5201 Great America Parkway, Suite 320=0D=0ASanta Clara, =
CA 95054
URL:http://www.vesta-corp.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:jharwood@vesta-corp.com
REV:20001011T162328Z