Re: PKCS#1 in IKE vs. FIPS certification

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Ari Huttunen wrote:
> I just learned that FIPS will no longer approve the PKCS#1 standard...
> So, will this mean that starting in June it will not be possible to
> create IKE/IPsec products for the US federal market, and use RSA signatures
> or RSA encryption? Or does it mean something else?

No, even in the worst case, it just means that products for the US federal
market have to have two modes:  federal-spec-compliant mode, and actual-use
mode.

This is far from new.  For purposes of US federal procurement, Windows is
POSIX compliant.  Not that you can actually *do* anything useful with it
when running that way, but technically it meets the spec.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net