RE: Agenda for the Minneapolis meeting

One thing Scott said that is important is to remove ambiguity. Sometimes it
is misguided to associate brevity with simpicity. ISAKMP is very long and
convoluted, but at least it is unambiguous enough to prevent
interoperability problems.

How many times have you seen interoperability problem due to badly formed
payloads on the wire as opposed to problems with rekeying or load sharing or
cert usage or all those other things that were mostly left out of IKE.

Some other wants:

- 4 message non-encyrpting mode (i.e. base mode)
- Dave Mason's 4 message QM instead of the commit bit fiasco.
- message id as counter for replay protection
- deprecate PFS (I wish)
- specify placement of the cert request within the phase 1 exchange

I still think removing the distinction between IKE and ISAKMP is very
dangerous. We are only now beginning to see the benefits of separating the
two. With work in progress on areas like MSEC, SMPLS, Tero's KINK draft,
Jari's MAP DOI, I think we would be insane to merge the protocol layers at
this point in the game

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.

Follow-Ups: References: