From: Bill Sommerfeld [mailto:sommerfeld@East.Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 2:51 PM
To: andrew.krywaniuk@alcatel.com
Cc: 'Scott Fanning'; Mike_Borella@3com.com; 'Dan Harkins';
ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Agenda for the Minneapolis meeting

> - Dave Mason's 4 message QM instead of the commit bit fiasco.

IMHO, both the commit bit and 4-message QM are unnecessary.

Before you can set up SA's, each end has to reserve an SPI and then
communicate it to the peer.  We create a "larval" SA at this time as a
placeholder, since the SA tables are where we check for uniqueness of
SPI values.

You can buffer a (limited number) of received packets in the larval
SA, and then process them once the keying material is available.  This
is exactly like buffering packets while you wait for an arp reply..
not strictly necessary for interoperability, but extremely useful in
avoiding awkward pauses.