Re: Death to AH (was Re: SA identification)

Henry Spencer wrote:
> (Note, for example, IESG's recently-expressed doubts about
> whether the authentication requirements of Binding Updates can really be
> met using AH.)

I have read it as a doubt to the use of IPSec in general, rather than
AH alone...  Was I wrong?

Excerpt from mobile-ip mailing list:
>>The IESG has concerns about the draft's dependency on IPSEC AH to
>>authenticate Binding Updates. There are several issues here.
>>
>>   a) There is significant overhead associated with building and
>>      maintaining AH/IPsec SAs (both in terms of state that needs to
>>      be maintained, but also in terms of required message flows, and
>>      the processing required to implement those flows).

This is about building and maintaining SA, especially the overhead of
ISAKMP/IKE, not specifically about AH.

>>   b) The processing rules for authenticating a Binding Update with AH
>>      are complex and are apparently not readily supported by the
>>      current generation of IPsec/IKE implementations (e.g., the IPsec
>>      policies are needed that specify sufficient granularity about
>>      IPv6 packets containing binding updates).

I thought this isn't specific to AH, either.

					FUKUMOTO Atsushi
					fukumoto@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp

Follow-Ups: References: