Re: SA identification

At 9:15 PM +0200 3/22/01, Markku Savela wrote:
>(1) Destination address need to be stored into SA for outgoing SA's.

yes, the destination address is part of the SAD, but it is not an SA
identifier in the same sense and that a receiver uses the SPI and
dest address for SA selection

>(2) The identifaction triplet (SPI,dst,protocol) makes it problably
>     cleaner for key management to exactly specify which SA is being
>     operated.

"being operated?" not sure what you mean here, but in any case the
focus of my question is on receiver processing.

>For incoming SA, if you want to ignore the destination address, seems
>to me that, this is local implementation issue (with kernel and key
>management).

As the SCTP presentation and ID shows, it is not purely a local
matter. If we did away with the requirement to use the destination
address as part of the SA selection process at a receiver, there
would be no need to make this process more complex to accommodate
SCTP requirements.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: