Re: Death to AH (was Re: SA identification)

>> 	so i guess "death to AH" and "ipsec is for VPN only" are
>>	related.
>As others have pointed out, this relationship is weak at best.
>In particular, any IPsec implementation should include policy checks
>after ESP decapsulation which not only verify that the IP headers
>haven't been tampered during transit, but also that they were correct
>to begin with..

	the verification will be able to cover only IP source/destination
	address and protocol number only.  am I correct?

>> 	it is correct that there are certain extension headers that does not
>> 	need protection, however, there are certain application that needs
>> 	AH (especially with transport mode).  as increasing number of protocol
>> 	documents are relying upon the existence of ESP and AH (like most of
>> 	IPv6 routing protocols)
>Could you give pointers?  (i don't follow the routing area closely).

	here are a (probably incomplete) list of protocols that says "use
	IPsec to secure traffic".  in IPv4 they provided upper-layer mechanism
	to secure the protocol, and now they do not provide upper-layer
	mechanism for IPv6 because they rely upon IPsec
	though I need to diagnose each of them further, my take is that
	for routing protocols we prefer transport mode AH than ESP.

	- mobile-ip6
		a lot of extension headers need protection, we do not really
		want encryption for most of these
	- RIPng (RFC2080)
		explicitly refers AH and ESP
	- OSPFv3 (RFC2740)
		explicitly refers AH and ESP
	- IPv6 router renumbering (RFC2894)
		tries to protect site-local multicast by IPsec!
	- IPv6 tunnel broker (RFC3053)

itojun

Follow-Ups: References: