Re: Two issues: AH death, and SA identification

At 3:12 PM -0400 4/3/01, Derek Atkins wrote:
>Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> writes:
>
>>  True, but the IPsec architecture encompasses multiple protocols, and
>>  may become more IKE dependant in the future, to better coordinate
>>  with IKE.
>
>>  Steve
>
>Speaking as the chair of the KINK WG, I certainly hope that IPSec does
>not become more dependent on IKE.  Having multiple keying methods is a
>Good Thing (TM), and the clear split between ESP/AH and the keying
>method was a good decision.  I would hate to see that choice reversed.

Negotiation of SA parameters is an SA management function, though not
necessarily a key management function. We have disconnects today
between IKE capabilities and IPsec architecture. I want to close
those gaps in the next rev, and not by reducing IPsec functionality.

Perhaps what I should say is that I want to specify more concretely
what an SA management protocol must provide for IPsec, whether that
protocol is IKE or not.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: