Re: IPsec and RTP crypto

Bill Sommerfeld writes:
 > > Jeff Schiller according to Basavaraj Patil's
 > > minutes (mobile IP WG chair) quotes Jeff as saying
 > > that IPsec is not really a good fit in situations
 > > where you want to protect some of the traffic, but
 > > not all of the traffic to another host.
 >
 > IPsec is a poor fit when you only want to protect some traffic of a
 > particular flow (e.g., only packets which contain passwords, or only
 > the packets with a mobile ip binding update).

   Thank you (and Mohan). I thought I remembered a
   subtlety to this that wasn't captured correctly
   in the MIP minutes.

 > > Consider a simple SIP VoIP client. It exchanges
 > > UDP SIP traffic on a well known port and RTP/RTCP
 > > traffic on a dynamic set of ports. You would like
 > > both to be secure, but you'd really, really like
 > > the RTP traffic to do payload crypto so that it's
 > > friendly to header compression schemes. You can't
 > > use TLS because you'd like to use UDP. So what's
 > > left of the usual suspects? IPsec for the SIP.
 >
 > All of the IPsec implementations I'm familiar with can handle that.

   Great. This was, as they say, a sanity check.

 > If both source and destination ports are dynamic, the best way to
 > approach this is to have the RTP/RTCP implementations on each end
 > specify per-socket policy on their endpoints.

   That is the case with RTP. Each side decides
   which ports it wants to receive on and is
   typically transmitted in SDP (or h.245, I
   'spose).

		Mike