Re: IPsec and RTP crypto

> Jeff Schiller according to Basavaraj Patil's
> minutes (mobile IP WG chair) quotes Jeff as saying
> that IPsec is not really a good fit in situations
> where you want to protect some of the traffic, but
> not all of the traffic to another host. I'd like
> to actually get some clarification on this because
> it seems like a pretty serious restriction for
> VoIP.

I think there seems to be some confusion. This was discussed in
the context of piggybacking binding updates (IPv6 destination
option) instead  of sending binding updates all by itself.
If it is the latter, there is no issue as you can have a policy
that says "Protect binding updates" (it is a different issue
that there is no selector for a specific destination option).
Piggybacking is an issue because binding update protected
using AH may not be accepted on a TCP connection that
accepts clear packets.

Assume you have a policy that says "Protect with AH all packets
from host A to host B destined to port 23". This means you
can't send clear packets once in a while for packets destined
to port 23. Similarly the converse is true. If there is no
policy at all, then you can't send a AH protected packet (binding
update) once in a while. It will be dropped.

-mohan