RE: On transport-level policy enforcement (was Re: RFC 2401...)

Andrew,

>Steve,
>
>Thanks for clarifying this. I only asked because we had heard of earlier
>suggestions for caching SPD rules where the requirement that the
>decorrelated database be fully precalculated was not stated. I agree that it
>makes sense to store the database in this format. Yes, the SPD will be
>larger, but I am willing to bet that the scaling will be better than O(n).
>This seems like an implementation detail, and an implementation doing it
>this way today wouldn't really be non-compliant, since it is merely an
>optimization of an ordered database. But it's worth mentioning in the RFC
>anyway...
>
>One potential complication is dynamic SPD rules. An application will need to
>be able to add and delete rules dynamically without having to rebuild the
>entire database.

I think there is an opportunity for folks to work on optimizing the
decorrelation algorithm for dynamic addition/deletion operations.
Deletion should not be a problem; back pointers to the decorrelated
entries will enable one to remove them. Addition may be a bit harder.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: