Re: Misc. issues: Inbound SA triple identification / Inbound&Outbound SA, selectors exchange

> I now understand what I missed in the RFC: "The SPI chosen by the destination
> of the SA is used to derive KEYMAT for that SA". I just thought it was the
> contrary...
>
> So for an incoming IPSEC packet, the SPI is the one that was allocated
> locally. Still I do not get it: why should we use the destination address
> from the outer IP header for a lookup in our SAD??

This was discussed recently in this WG; this may change in a future version of
the spec.  The one answer which seemed to "stick" best is "Multicast".

That said, there's nothing stopping an implementation today from doing
as you described and allocating unique SPI's for unicast addresses
from a space shared across all its destination addresses.

					- Bill