Re: application layer cross checking

Stephen Kent writes:
 > At 2:36 PM -0700 5/3/01, Michael Thomas wrote:
 > >Derek Atkins writes:
 > >  > Because applications may not be ipsec peers...  Or, in most cases,
 > >  > ipsec will be host-based, not user-based?
 > >
 > >    This seems like a rather single user PC based
 > >    mentality. If we were running a multiuser timesharing
 > >    system, being able to supply credentials on a per
 > >    user basis would be rather necessary, no? Or
 > >    perhaps I have a smart card which does the
 > >    signatures which identifies me regardless of
 > >    which machine I'm using, etc, etc. I don't see
 > >    what prevents the SPD from having rules like
 > >    "for 5-tuple [a,b,c,d,e], demand credentials in
 > >     realm X" where those credentials might require
 > >    a human to insert a piece of hardware, or type
 > >    into a dialog box slapped up by the keying
 > >    daemon, or whatever.
 >
 > The SPD is a means of specifying access controls and security
 > services for traffic at layer 3. It would be  inappropriate to do
 > what you suggest here.

   [???]

   What does that have to do with the means that
   you supply those rules into the SPD, and checking
   up on who was authenticated to those rules in
   the SADB?

   I can't believe you're seriously suggesting that
   the SPD shouldn't be able to deal with rules like:

   "to [src=*, dst=me, proto=UDP, sport=*, dport=1234]
    method=EXTERNAL, callout=GetSmartCardSignFromLuser(),
    realm=fOoThEFunLoVIngbAR".

   This is purely a local implementation issue.
   Likewise, an API which allows you to view the rule and
   credentials which a particular SA authenticted with
   -- or not -- is also purely a local implementation
   issue.

   How can that possibly be "inappropriate"? It's my
   machine, after all.

		  Mike

Follow-Ups: References: