RE: src addr/SPI coupling

> In the case of multicast traffic, where separate key servers may be
> controlling keys/SA assignment for different multicast sessions,
> you'd have to come up with a mechanism to ensure that there are
> (a) no collisions in SPI assignment across the possible universe of
> key servers, (b) but still have reasonable randomness to the SPI
> allocation (the phase 2 SPIs are used as additional randomness
> in the key derivation), and (c) the SPI space per address is
> sufficiently
> large enough for rekeying for some noticeable amount of time (because
> of (b)).

Are (b) and (c) really a problem? The entropy provided by the SPIs is only
needed to provide distinct keymat for multiple SAs in the same packet,
right? A counter in the key derivation would serve the same purpose.

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.

Follow-Ups: References: