Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

--- Chris Trobridge <CTrobridge@baltimore.com> wrote:
> We've come up against a number of situations where the network service
> provider has used NAT and the customer wants to add IP security by adding
> Security Gateways between their networks and the service provider's access
> points.

Why cant the traffic between customer site and the access point be secured?
There is no NAT involved thus far. All that the customer is asking for is
tunnel-mode security. The Access Point at the providers's site will need
a security gateway function.

NAT happens after this.

> RFC2401 says that a Security Gateway must use tunnel mode unless it is
> acting as a host (eg management).  The negates the service provider's use of
> NAT by preventing it from translating client addresses - which in some cases
> overlap across across multiple private networks.

Please see my comments above.

> Some vendors offer non-standard encryption modes - eg transport or
> proprietary - that do pass the IP (and even TCP/UDP) headers through in
> clear too.  This exposes the client IP address for NAT but means that the
> encryption end-points probably won't agree on the selectors for the security
> association - as they will see different addresses for the same client.
>
> Even assuming that the management issues associated with agreeing SAs
> (possibly with dynamic NAT) can be fixed, there appears to be a deeper
> issue:  Some protocols, most notably FTP, pass IP socket addresses at the
> application level.  These need to be translated by Application Level
> Gateways (ALGs).  However, once IP traffic has been enrypted, this
> information cannot be available to the ALG.
>
> This appears to imply that NAT, in general, must be performed before
> encryption.  This is at odds with the models that a number of service
> providers are trying to apply.  Are there any solutions to these problems?
> Or any papers detailing the sort of problems that occur when mixing NAT with
> IPSEC.

You might want to take a look at RFC 2709, even though that may not be
the model you are looking at.

> Thanks,
> Chris

cheers,